Area: Northumberland and Tyne and Wear
The Northumbrian Branch of The Clarsach Society was founded in 1983.
Hello and a very warm welcome to the Northumbrian Branch.
We are a busy Branch with many opportunities to play with other members.
Most of our meetings are held at Stannington Village Hall, Main Street, Stannington, Northumberland NE61 6EL which has a lovely bright, large room for our Saturday and Wednesday gatherings and a smaller side room for our evening group both with access to the kitchen for that all important social tea/coffee break between playing.
- SATURDAY morning meetings are held on the first Saturday of the month (except August when we have a holiday). There is always a tutor to take the morning playing which starts at beginner level from 10.00am until coffee time and after a break we have slightly more advanced playing until 1.00pm. We provide music in book form and these can be bought if you want to take them home to practise.
- WEDNESDAY morning (10.00am -1.00pm) meetings are held on the second Wednesday of the month. This meeting is for those who enjoy playing ensemble pieces with other members and those wishing to expand their repertoire. It is not tutored and is a fun morning just to enjoy playing.
- TUESDAY evening (7.00pm-9.30pm) meetings are held on the third Tuesday of the month. Similar to those on Wednesdays and hopefully accessible to those who have commitments during the day. Again it is not tutored and we often practice some of our regular tunes to play at various functions during the year.
- “HARPS NORTHUMBRIA” is a small group of members who enjoy ensemble performance. They practice a pre-decided selection of tunes to play as a group when invited for various functions and charity events during the year. Familiarity with the repertoire is needed and some additional rehearsal times are arranged before a performance. (Many of the tunes are played on the Wednesday and Tuesday meetings). New members are welcome so please ask if you are interested.
- We hold an annual “complete beginners” introduction morning workshop in January, open to all ages. Harps are provided for a chance to try out our lovely instrument and inspire new learners. (Follow-on tuition support and instrument hire are also provided by the Branch).
- We hold WORKSHOP DAYS with visiting tutors several times a year and have an annual joint day with our neighbouring Branch from Edinburgh in the Autumn which is a lovely time to share pieces and play together. These events need to be booked in advance with a small additional charge to cover tutor fees and room hire but are a very reasonable way to develop skills and expand tune repertoire from leading performers.
All our regular events are announced through monthly emails by our Secretary along with any specific unavoidable changes. Come and join in whatever your level of playing, it is all to be enjoyed, and it’s free to Branch members.
- Yes: hirer must be a member of our Branch.
- Charges: £50 deposit, then £20/ month.
- For more details, contact the branch.